Thursday, March 24, 2011

21 Mar 2011

So I guess this week I'll just do a big update for everyone.  The coolest news is that on Friday night, Elder Wheatley and Elder Andrade-Estrada(my son) came down from Richmond  and stayed the night with us so that my son could baptize some 17 year old girl in the beach on Saturday.  They inform me that Maria(the lady that I found in Richmond) was getting baptized on Sunday, and she wanted me to confirm her.  So I was like, "Oh man, we're supposed to have a baptism on sunday!" I was freaking out!  So it turns out that Erenia didn't get baptized on Sunday, but that's ok.  On Saturday, I'm making all these calls to get a ride up to richmond so that I can confirm Maria, and everyone is just like "uhhh, I don't know...." In their defense, it's like a 2 hour drive up there.So as a last resort, I call Sergio, a recent convert, and ask him for a ride. He goes "Thats an answer to my prayers.  My company called me yesterday and wants me to work on Sunday, but I don't want to work on Sunday and I didn't want to come up with an excuse and lie. But now I don't have to."  So right after church we 3 pile into his red convertible mustang and we took off.  In Newport News we decided to put the top down, so we cruised up to Richmond with the wind blowing through our hair :) it was sick! haha
   So we get there and all these members are like "Woah, you're back?"  It was fun.  But then we pulled Maria out of Relief Society a few minutes early for her to change, and when she walked out and saw me, she almost passed out from surprise!  She was like "oh my gosh, you didn't tell me that he was coming!!!!"  she started crying and it was way sweet.  Her adorable daughters were there too and they were soooooo cute.  So she gets all changed into white and we're taking pictures and she looks at me and goes "I'm so nervous!"  I was like "Don't be, Elder Andrade-Estrada is really good at baptizing."  She smiles and goes "I'm not worried about that.  The dress is see through!"  It was way funny.  Well the baptism went well and then I confirmed her and it was AWESOME!  Confirming people is the coolest thing ever I think.  I'm also way stoked because she's the very first person I've found on my mission that got baptized.  POR FIN!
   In other news, Erenia, our awesome sister with a baptismal date, her truck got stolen last night.  She's talking with her friend on wednesday about their relationship because she REALLY REALLY wants to get baptized.  So we're seeing a ton of opposition with her.  It's about time. Everything was going super smoothly with her, I was wondering/worrying about when the opposition would start.  
  The time is just flying by here in Deep Creek.  With Elder ALlen going home, it seems like it's flying even faster.  We've been talking alot and reflecting on our missions and it's interesting to see.  It's funny to see how much we've changed since we came out.  Especially me and Elder Wheatley.  Having him here on Friday was like we were back in the MTC.  At the baptism on Saturday, about 5 minutes before it started, the VA Beach Elders say "Hey, the three of you are giving a message in the interlude."  We were like "Thanks for the heads up!"  So we just walk up there without any idea about what to do, and we just went for it, and the spirit was just super strong and it worked out great.  We get done and a few people say "Wow, you were all super unified and it sounded great!" it was sweet.  It's just so awesome how much the spirit can work through you when you've been out for a while.  Like, it's just normal.  I think a lot of times as missionaries we take that for granted, just how much the Spirit really works through us.  It's incredible, but after so long, it just kind of feels normal.  That's one of the things I think I'm going to miss the most after my mission, so I'm going to live it up while I can!
  It's hard being here in Deep Creek, because the hispanics are concentrated in like, 3 areas, and so those three areas have been knocked again and again and again.  So we're going to start looking through the phone book and stalking that way.  Should be pretty fun.  Had some success with it in Charlottesville.  Any other ideas on what we could do to find hispanics?  
  I also got chewed out by a lady in North Carolina.  We were calling all over trying to see where would be the easiest to get a marriage license for illegals (I didn't tell her it was for illegals), and this lady in North Carolina lit me up after she asked me some retarded questions.  SHe asked me where I was and I was like "Portsmouth" and she goes in this nasty voice "Then WHY don't you just get it in Portsmouth?"  I was pissed.  Sometimes I just wish I could light people up too.  One of the benefits of not  being a missionary :) haha
    So congrats on the new car.  I tell the story sometimes about how Grandpa Campbell messed me up in my perception of how you get a new car.  I remember when he had just bought the Crown Vic, and he got a flat, so he just took it to the dealer and got a  new car.  So for a long time, that's what I thought you do.  I just figured that when you get a flat tire, you got a new car.   I should be getting a new car down here in Deep Creek soon.  The church rotates them out every 50000, and our is at 50168 or something.  So maybe before I go home, if I'm still here in Chesapeake,  I'll be rolling around in a brand new car :)  That would be cool.  So hows the traverse?  I saw one the other day, and they look like a giant jelly bean on wheels.  I don't know what Chevy has been thinking lately.  I think their cars are kind of ugly.  The new Lexus Hybrid is SWEET though!  Seen a few of those rolling around here.  But the most popular car with the population here (70% blacks) is the Chrysler 300 or the Dodge Charger.  
   We're going to play ball today on a college-ish size court. Should be way sweet.  I'll hopefully be sending you some pictures of the baptism today(Marias). It was sweet.  Wish you could have been there.  I also got to see Teo and Mercedes on Saturday.  They're prepping to go to the temple :))))))))))))))))))  HOW SWEET IS THAT!!!!!  I love them so much!  They're awesome! 

  Well, think thats it for the week.  Take care.
    Hand out pass along cards to hispanics
 Elder Campbell

No comments:

Post a Comment