Thursday, July 16, 2009

So here is Elder Campbell's latest letter. What a difference 3 weeks makes!

So, wow what a week! First off, I have some good news and some bad news! The good news is, I've been called as District Leader for my district. The bad news is, I've been called as District Leader for my district. Its nice to always know if I got mail or not, but it really sucks to have to tell the other elders that they didnt' get anything! We were taking bets on who would be the new DL once Elder Lewis and his companion left for Guatemala. I said it would be Elder Wilde, but Elder Clark and Elder Cutler were teaching me the 1st lesson and when I told them I was really homesick, Elder Clark committed me to losing myself in the work. As soon as he said that, I knew it was gonna be me. So on Sunday, Pres. Krueger (who reminds me of Donald Trump) came into the class and asked to speak to me. It was all over from that point. I really didn't want to be DL, but the Lord knows better than we do what we need, and this is the perfect opportunity for me to lose myself so to speak! The Spanish is going great! We learned imperfect and preterit this week, which isn't exactly easy, but we're getting the hang of it. Luckily we're only learning 14 tenses in Spanish. Thats out of 28 though!!! It's crazy! But miracles are being witnessed here! One of our subs for the day served with Jeff Olson in Honduras. I dont know if you know who that is, but Juliann and Mallory may know who he is! We had a great devotional by Pres. Rob Steuer of the Ogden Temple. He talked about sacrifice and being happy to sacrifice. It seems like every single thing that's been said since I got here has been said specifically for me! Its amazing! So our district has been telling lots of stories this week, and Ithought it was hilarious when my room comp Elder Wheatley told us hisstory of almost getting his first kiss 2 months before he came on his mission, but turns out the girl was dating his best friend at the time! haha oh also, there's another Elder in my district named Skyler, but his last name is Cutler. Did I already say that? I dont remember much anymore. The last 2 weeks are all one big blur, its ridiculous! So the temple opened up last week! We did our first session and someone from another district got a huge bloody nose right in the middle! Its so beautiful in the Provo Temple though! We learned what the temple is modeled after- The Cloud and Pillar that followed the children of Israel in the desert! How cool is that? Unfortunately, we didn't get to talk to the temple Pres. and ask him questions, so sorry I won't be able to answer yours dad! We get to go again today,but the session should be really small since 2 districts just left our zone! We're getting a new district tonight though! 8 Elders and 4 Hermanas. Amanda Miller gets here today, so hopefully I'll be able to see her sometime and chat. Yes, that IS allowed mallory! haha Juliann- I'm sorry to hear about Mikes job :( Just keep up the faith and good works! DC 121:7 has recently become one of my favorite scriptures- My son, peace be unto thy soul; Thine afflictions will be but a small moment. That scripture has helped me so much. Hopefullyit will help you too! Speaking of favorite scriptures, I just learned the other night that Pres. Monson and I share a favorite scripture!!! DC 84:88! How cool is that? So hows everything going back home? Dad, I cant believe you wait til I'm GONE to shoot the propane tank!!! That figures! haha just kidding. Elder Gropp had a missionary crush on this new hermana in our service group, so whenever we saw her in the lunch room, we'd make sure one of us was there to supervise the conversation. I feel bad, we used to always joke with him about not getting letters from his girlfriend, and he only got 1 while he was here! He and Elder Lewis had to be at the travel office at 5 am to make their flight, and they didn't even wakeup til 5:30! They were getting paged on the intercom for about 30minutes and it was waking all these elders up and no one knew who they were! haha So I've only gained 2 pounds while I've been here! pretty good so far if you ask me! Hopefully I can leave here with only gaining 5 or less pounds. We'll see! I wentto the health clinic. I thought I was getting the flu(oink oink!) so I went there, and the doctor just said I have a virus, not the dreaded pig flu! Thank goodness! They waived the fee, but I needed some antihistamine. It actually took the doctor like 20 minutes to get in there, so I just took some pictures of the office and myself. It waseasy to keep myself entertained. So I recorded the song we sang in choir and next time I send my memory card home, that'll be on there! You can hear me a ton, which is unfortunate, but oh well. I should come home ripped with a 6 pack from all the sit ups I'm doin everynight! Gotta burn off all the fried food calories somehow! Can't wait for that care package! None of the vending machines here have sour patch kids! Yeah, one of my pairs of shoes is coming apart a little, so I figured I'd pre-emptive strike it and fix it before it got too bad! Hopefully they'll last awhile longer! So one of the companionships in my district isn't getting along too well. Elder Petaia, one of the most patient and funniest people I've ever met, got paired with Elder Beach. Elder Beach is very independent and likes to do everything on his own. He also doesn't even communicate or do things with his companion. Its really sad. So I have to talk with Elder Beach about it in his Sr. Companion interview on thursday :( Poor Elder Petaia. He's so patient and kind, but he's struggling! But I told him that's why he got put in the companionship, cause no one else could do it! Ok, well Im almost out of time! Love you all! Thanks for all the letters and love, it really helps me through the days! Talk to you next week!
Your favorite Elder, Skyler

No comments:

Post a Comment