Monday, December 21, 2009

Dec 2

Hey hey hey. And about the bad areas. Yes, Norfolk is where those two elders got shot a few years back, but we HAVE to go in there. It's a huge chunk of our area and there are a bunch of hispanics in there. We're trying to be smart and avoid the super bad areas, but sometimes there's no other option. So we'll be safe adn smart, but please keep praying for us.

As for thanksgiving, probably the worst thanksgiving I've ever had. We got a text last wednesday night from a number we didn't recognize. It just said "John Jones is stuck in nutty putty caves in Utah. Pray for him." and that was it. So we had no idea what was going on. Then we do weekly planning on THursday and afterwards, I figure I'll call Elder Washburn in C-Ville to see if it was Hno. Jones up there. SO I call him and ask whats going on, and he pauses and says "He died." I thought he was just playing a cruel joke, so we decided to call the number of the text. Turns out it was the old Zone Leader Elder Morris who was friends with Bro. and Sis. Jones from before his mission. They went to Utah to see his homecoming and on Tuesday night Bro. Jones went caving with some friends. He decided to walk into this one room and had to suck in his chest to get through this crack. Well he ended up getting stuck and couldn't get out. He was in there for over 24 hours and he ended up dying. Elder Morris told us that and we couldn't believe it. He was only 27 years old with a wife and a 1 year old daughter. I was so devestated. Elder Darbro and I just sat on the couch for about 30 minutes crying. It was terrible. Then in my interview with president on Saturday, I found out taht they can't retrieve the body, so they're closing down the cave and just leaving him in there. It's really terrible. I was so depressed about that. That man deserves so much better than that. He seriously changed my mission. He was one of the greatest people I've ever met. I really miss him, but I got some comfort in the fact that he's kickin so much butt on the other side right now. He's saving so many people over there it's insane.
But yeah, that's pretty much the most of the news for this past week. Sorry that's really depressing. But that was our week last week.
Mom- Glad to hear your thanksgiving was good. So I get to call on Christmas whenever I want to. I think I'll call at around 2 my time, so that's 11 bac k home, right? Don't hold me on that, I might change my mind, but I'll definitely let you know.
Dad- So how's everything going? Always fun to get your letters. Glad you had some time to finally go out shooting! And don't worry, we're not taking advantage of any of the members. They are the ones who set up the dinners with us, and we can't say "Oh no, we don't want to come over to eat with you." can we? So they talk to us in church on sunday and set up the appts usually.
Mallory- Your addiction to Twilight is terrifying. 3rd time you've read the book this month? That's scary! I'm glad you liked the movie though. How many times have you gone to see new moon? If you say more than twice, I'm going to cry for you! ANd yes, the scarf is working out great. Elder Darbro is jealous of it. And yes, some baked goods would be wonderful. But no pressure or anything. I bought a whole pie this week, so that'll last me for awhile.
Juli- How's everything going? You should just about be out of school for the winter, right? That's so sweet, you're almost done! Can you believe that? Hows work going?
Anyway, I think that's all for this week. I know, not very long, but I dont' remember really anything except for Thanksgiving day. But yeah. Hope everything is good and I love you all.

Love Skyler

No comments:

Post a Comment